Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Saturday, February 23, 2013

INTO THE FUUUUUTUUUUUUURE!




The White Paper didn’t really tell me anything I didn’t already know from my own experiences. I am personally plugged into a variety of online sites. I already knew that students are using technology to communicate and even date from across the globe at an almost constant level. I myself have felt the high that comes from having new notifications and texts, so I know how addicting it can get and how fast-paced the online culture is.

It is very true that youths are much more likely to want to learn things from other youths, usually who are within their same interest groups. I feel like this indicates that we should be stressing peer-to-peer tutoring more. I went to more study groups in college than I went to tutoring labs. So I feel the same could be implemented in high school. For example, students with a study hall could instead be tutors to younger students. I think that would be a great way to capitalize on their desire to learn from their peers.
Webcam tutoring would be a cool thing to set up in my opinion. However, I have tried doing so before and found out my camera was too poor quality for me to show my friend the solution to the equation I was helping him figure out. However, I believe with some decent quality webcams and some white boards, students could tutor each other from pretty much anywhere. 


I think most of the stuff I saw on the site seemed pretty cool. I honestly don’t think body modifications will become much cheaper in seven years, especially if they do branch out to include things that affect the mind, than they are now, even if they do become more popular and more practical. But It was cool to read about it.I feel like one of the most important things I will need to be able to teach my students in 2020 is how to discern facts from fiction in the virtual world, how to deal with cyber bullying, and how to not be a cyber bully. The thing about the internet is that it removes the human factor and with it some people’s humanity. 

At the same time I have seen people be too open. I think one helpful thing will be to show students how to be more cautious about what they post. For example, I have to be careful what I post on my Facebook, even though it is private, as I am a Sunday School teacher. Jokes with foul language in them would be inappropriate for me to post. However, up until the time I graduated college, no one said a word to me about what was appropriate or inappropriate or why it was important to care about such things. In this new digital world, students can end up hurting themselves when it comes to job opportunities based on what they’ve posted online. So I feel that will still be worthwhile to teach my students in 2020. 



1 comment:

  1. I think it is very appropriate and good to teach students, through using technology in the classroom, about being cautious on the internet. Students need to be aware of how their posts on social media sites can affect their future job prospects and just in general their reputation among their peers. I think this teaching can primarily be done by teaching them what is appropriate on a class blog and how it is important to proofread what you are posting before you do. These are common things that make me cringe when I see them posted by another person. We need to make sure our students are informed and ready when they use the internet for any purpose.

    ReplyDelete